We are back with our next edition of the Book Lovers Club News. We intend to make this place the coziest web corner for book lovers and it is your love that keeps us going....
Book Review Circle gossip
Laughter for the soul
For Book Lovers Club Fans who are still students: you are in the middle of your summer vacation. And having basked in gratuitous rollicking for some time around, you are, may I say, a tad bit bored?
For those of us who have to work for a living: weekends have seized to be outdoorsy with the sun blazing a 100 degrees outside. If you are tired of the mindless babble on TV, and if indoor games have begun to get repetitive, this issue is your elixir...
Need to spend your days with something that is light hearted and fun? Here comes a list of books you must lay your hands on....
- Jerome K Jerome-Three Men in a Boat
- P G Wodehouse- pick any book from The Blandings Castles stories, Jeeves and Wooster stories or Drones club stories. While these are the most popular Wodehouse series, anything by this man is light hearted and endearing
- Evelyn Waugh- almost all his novels exhibit his comic genius but the following novels are more popular:A Handful of Dust, Black Mischief, Vile Bodies, Decline and Fall, Put Out More Flags and The Loved One
- Mark Twain- Lauded as 'the greatest American humorist of his age' (obituary by New York Times); check out his all time favorites Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. If you have read these already, you could venture into other Twain works which exhibit his brilliant wit and satire(The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County, The Prince and the Pauper , A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court are good examples)
- Oscar Wilde- A well known comic playwright, check out his prominent comedies: The Importance of Being Earnest, Lady Windermere's Fan, A Woman of No Importance, and An Ideal Husband
- Charles Dickens- If you are looking for the most popular humorous works by this prolific writer, you must pick up either Pickwick Papers or Martin Chuzzlewit
- Kingsley Amis- Lucky Jim, Take a Girl Like You, and That Certain Feeling are among the major humorous works by this twentieth century comic novelist
Apart from the works named above, here is a list of comic literature by sporadically humorous authors.
- Catch 22- Joseph Heller's world famous novel is full of mouth watering witticism, satire and jibes. A yummy read for this season
- Candide- Voltaire's satire is for those with more scholastic tastes.
- She Stoops to Conquer- Oliver Goldsmith's comic play is a favorite with many literature lovers. The play has created some unforgettable comic characters and remains a popular theatre production to this day.
- Don Quixote-The novel was recently voted The Greatest Book of All Time by the Nobel Institute. It has also created the word 'quixotic' meaning 'impulsive and often rashly unpredictable'. A must read for those who have not read it already.
Book lovers will know that this list is not exhaustive. It is just an indicative list of popular comic literary fiction. In case I have missed out your favorite comic writer and you are feeling very strongly about it, write in to me at email@example.com. We could include the writer in one of our next issues.
Book Review Circle suggested read:
Read the humorous books listed above for healthier lungs and a sharper intellect
Book Review Circle Quiz:
See if you know answers to the following
- In Wodehouse's Blandings Castle stories, what is the name of Lord Emsworth's famous pig ?
- What is the master call to which his pig will respond, in the same series?
- What is humorist Mark Twain's real name?
- Empress of Blandings
- Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Do write in to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your comments, updates and suggestions. We look forward to hearing from you.
Ok. I will leave you to munch on that.
Happy reading till we meet again.