Book Review Guidelines
How to write a book review
In order to pass the Editorial quality test for your book review, simply follow the below mentioned guidelines:
- Mention the name of the book, the author and your personal quality rating of the book as shown in the snapshot below.
- The ‘Personal Quality Rating’ is a score that you give to the book on a scale of 0 to 5 based on your personal liking/disliking of the book. 0 is bad and 5 is great!
- Ensure that your book review is between 400 to 500 words. A review that is less than 400 words is likely to be too short for readers to gain any valuable insight from it. Some book reviews published on this website are more than this length but they are rare exceptions. If your book review is absolutely adored by our editors, it stands the chance of getting past the 500 words limit. But this is a rare occurrence. So don’t take your chances here.
- Break up your review into the following subparts: ‘Summary’, ‘Social/Historical Context’, ‘Writing Style’, & ‘My Thoughts’.
- In the Summary section give a small brief of the story/plot of the book. Make this really brief and please do not reveal the entire plot in the summary section. Keep the suspense alive for the next reader of your book. If you reveal the entire plot of the book in your summary you will kill your reader’s interest in reading the book. So make the summary pithy and concise.
- In the ‘Social/Historical Context’ section, talk about the message in the book. Is the book depicting a certain pain point in society? Is the story set in a certain time in history? What is the author’s purpose in writing the book? Can we learn something from the book?
- In the ‘Writing Style’ section, talk about the way in which the author has written the book. Is the language common place or is it evocative? Has the book been written in the first person? Is the book in the form of a narrative or has the plot been constructed through a series of letters? Your comments in this section will help your fellow readers decide if they will be comfortable while reading the book or not.
- Lastly, mention your completely personal reaction to the book in the ‘My Thoughts’ section. This is the section that makes your review so exciting for fellow readers. Readers can relate to what you say here because they come to this website to find book lovers like you and not to listen to any sales pitch about a book from other book selling websites. So be honest and narrate your thoughts here.
- Keep an eye on grammar and spellings while writing your review. Do not use slang. A clean, well written page lends credibility to your writing and provides great value to your readers.
So simply follow the book review quality guidelines above and see your book review sail through our editorial test. Best wishes.
Do you need more help? Click here
for a complete tutorial on writing book reviews.